Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The first day of the rest of her life...

Today was the first day of the rest of her life. The first day of school. The first day of kindergarten. The first day of the rest of her life, because after all, we all know that everything we need to know we learn in kindergarten. And today was the first day of kindergarten for our sweet girl Ella. Wow!! How does time fly so fast. How does my sweet little baby girl who HATED everyone (except mama, of course) become an adorable kindergartner, overnight?? Luckily for me, my eyes were dry. Unlike other mommies who have to leave their babies at kindergarten, I get to follow my girl to school everyday. I get to rest in the comfort that her teachers are my friends. That her principal is my friend, that the people in her life everyday are my friends, really my family. Life at my school is so different than any other school. We aren't just co-workers, we are family. We know and love each other so much. We know and love each other's children so much!! And so, today my baby girl walked into her 'home away from home' and was loved by her extended family, loved by Jesus, and loved by her mama. The best thing in the world, was seeing all of the people at her first chapel that were there for her....there to share her special day with her. Thank you all for loving our baby girl! It really does take a village to raise a child and I am so blessed to have the most amazing village to call my home away from home!!

All dressed up for the first day of school!





Ella and her two kindergarten teachers who are job sharing! Ms. Wilson and Mrs. Madigan. Ms. Wilson is the sweetest person, EVER!! Mrs. Madigan is a DEAR friend of mine. She is the mama to the most adorable little girl Sierra! Thanks Becca, for loving my girl, and for putting up with me for the next year. I hope I don't drive you CRAZY!!!




Ella and her most beloved friend and teacher Ms. Zimmer!! Wendy is my dearest partner in crime. She is my saving grace in a crazy world, my inner voice when I am lost, and my confidant when I am in need of an ear. And lets face it, who else would put up with me dragging them around to different exercise classes at 5:30 in the morning. Wendy, I just love that God has brought us together...again. I am so grateful to him for allowing me to be your baby's kindergarten teacher and for allowing you to be my baby's kindergarten teacher. We do have an awesome God who placed you in my life at the best time...I love you girl!!




On another note...today is the 5 month anniversary of my sweet Leah Faith's birth. I cannot believe that 5 months have past since those fateful days. I still feel numb, still waiting for the other shoe to drop, still waiting to learn how to breathe again. Still waiting to wake up from my nightmare. I just cannot believe that this has happened to me. I remember my doctor telling me that Leah's cord accident was like winning the lottery, very rare and not likely to reoccur. I still sit in awe...we don't win things...we don't win lotteries, drawings, the slot machine, bingo, craps, you name it we don't win it. So why, oh why did we have to win this lottery. Today was the first day of school. I had a great day. I love my job, love my students, love my co-workers, love my school. BUT, I wasn't suppose to be here today. I was suppose to be on maternity leave...suppose to be loving my baby girl...loving my 3 girls. Instead I was loving my students...and feeling a hole in my heart that was longing to be filled by the embrace and cuddle of my baby.

Leah Faith Davis~ not a day goes by that I don't think of you, long for you, dream of you. I wish I could hold you and tell you how much I love you, how important you are in my life. I dedicate this school year to you....may my days be filled with FAITH, HOPE, and JOY. May my actions be a reflection of my love for you, may I leave people in awe of my faith, hope, and joy. 5 months today...it feels like yesterday...and it feels like a lifetime ago. I love you sweet baby girl! I can only imagine the party you are having in heaven, in the arms of Jesus!!!

Faith, Hope, Love....and the greatest of these is LOVE!

No comments: